Saturday, July 4, 2009

Fireworks in Anchorage


This is the Fourth of July, so the apt title. My blogs have been minimal this month since I'm recovering from double knee surgery, and no one wants to hear about 'pain' . .. in fact, every time I mention it, the reply is, "Well, you elected to do it" and I'm suffering in silence. The bright side is that my neighbor/caregiver/friend has brightened my condo, deck, and rooftop patio with flowers galore and the image above is one of the "Salmon on Parade" from downtown. You see, each summer Anchorage displays like salmon with themes around the downtown area so the tourists, and locals too, can follow the map to see them displayed, and at the end of the summer there's a big charity auction to spread them around. This is just one of the joys of walking around downtown Anchorage, as they have music concerts, fairs, markets, and constant activity. The restaurants are abundant, and they're all crowded, it seems. I have my favorites, but you can't go wrong just walking into one blindfolded. The 'downtown' salmon fishing in Ship Creek just ended, but they pulled some big ones out of there, and it's faster, easier, cheaper than traveling to the many lodges scattered throughout the state. This is also the time for baseball and tonight's fireworks follow the double header between the two local teams, the Anchorage Bucs and the Glacier Pilots. So come on down and visit us.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the fun little blogs! Hope that your knees feel better before the cold hits!
-Aubrie, Anchorage