Saturday, January 16, 2010

Winter Beauty in Anchorge


As winter peaks, and the days get longer, the traditional activites are in high gear. Most notable are the beautiful ice sculptures in our Town Square. This image by Rebecca Belcher was posted in the local paper, and captures the beauty of light refraction.



The beauty of Mt. Susitna, or the Sleeping Lady, remains throughout the year, and serves to remind me why I live in this beautiful state. (I only need a reminder when the temperature drops below zero).

.


With all the positives of Alaska, I would be remiss to not mention the sadness we all feel about the earthquake in Haiti last week. By comparison, our 1964 earthquake was minor, and less than a dozen lives were lost. Our prayers are with the people of Haiti, and the rescue teams, as they continue to search and sort. Maybe someday we will figure it all out, as that is the last place I would have thought the earth would open. So I close this week's blog with sadness.

1 comment:

www.megnoblepeterson.com said...

Thanks, Vera, for these spectacular photos and for your other blogs. Also, you speak for all of us when you send your prayers and hopes to the people of Haiti. I haven't known what to say in the face of such a tumultuous tragedy. You did it for me. Meg