Wednesday, September 19, 2007

World Travel 101

Hostelling International has created a powerpoint program on World Travel 101, and also Women Traveling Solo. While most people recognize the word 'hostelling', it is often misused, or referred to in connection with Elderhostel. This is not the way it is - actually it is an independent organization whose mission started almost a hundred years ago, providing accommodation to travelers at a low cost. While it has expanded to a world outreach, in promoting fellowship and friendship, it remains directed to youth. In actuality, all ages are welcome and more and more seniors are traveling alone or accompanied by buddies to visit far parts of the world. This is all incorporated in the slide show presentation prepared by national. Last night I showed this to the Pioneers of Alaska, at their social meeting. I hope that I was able to dispel some of the mistaken concepts, and perhaps some will use hostels in their travels. A peripheral benefit is to have a place to put company when you run out of room in your home. Just check them into the local hostel. Anyhow, in a personal sense, I enjoyed presenting this program, because it gave me some practice in using our new projector. It usually requires an extension cord, because the laptop computer and the projector both need power, and then I have a remote to advance the slides I'm still working on. Anyhow, I felt the program was well received. I'm ready to do more 'shows' when groups need a program. It happens often.

No comments: