Thursday, January 31, 2008

Anchorage Jazz

Jazz is alive and well in Anchorage, Alaska. It's hard to find live jazz in many major cities, but I have researched many cities in US, and I'd say Anchorage rates in the top three. Only San Francisco and Chicago offer more (by my results). Last night proved the top quality of Anchorage, as the University of Alaska Anchorage presented a Benefit Concert which helps fund upcoming Jazz Week. The Title was "The Music of John Coltrane", and it was led by Rick Zelinsky, a sax artist whom I understand teaches in the local school sytem. He was joined by Pat Owens on trumpet, Dirk Westfall on bass, Evgeny Chernonog, piano, and Cameron Cartland on drums. I usually steer clear of naming names on my blog, but this is an exception, as they are world class, and I would hope that they get recognition in the future.
The big Super Bowl weekend is coming up, and stay tuned for the Anchorage Alternative. I'll be reporting on the Women's Cross Country Ski Races on Sunday. The costumes are always great, and they raise a heap for charities.

No comments: