Saturday, May 19, 2007

Wakes

My blog seems to contain nothing but gripes. Not today. I'm just happy to continue my stress-free life, and happy to have a place to help in this. There's nothing wrong with today, so far, so I thought I'd report on some recent funerals and wakes I've attended. Yesterday, I attended the wake of a local fellow, who some referred to as the last of the Anchorage Mafia. The venue was Kinkaid Park Chalet. If you're not in Anchorage, you wouldn't have heard of this place, but it is the original site of the Kinkaid homestead, and a choice piece of property it is. The Anchorage International Airport borders on the north, the suburban area of Sand Lake to the east and south, and beautiful Cook Inlet to the West. It was a beautiful evening, and when the sun sets over Mt. Susitna, on a clear evening, there is no more beautiful sight.
There was no formal service, just a lot of older locals you don't see around much anymore. But the daughter of the departed was a beautiful animated gal, who was in Thailand getting a body job, when this fellow was called. She told a detailed story of her visit with Budda which happened by coincidence, or karma? at the same moment. She really needs to 'blog'.
Last week, I attended another service, not quite so joyous. The fellow died on his 43rd birthday, and the cause was never revealed. He came from a wonderful family, and had one older brother. His passing came as a surprise to me, altho' I didn't really know him, just his parents. There is no sadder loss than to lose your child. It's 'natural' for a spouse, or parents, to die first, but not your own son. There were several touching comments from the attendees, and I love a good cry. It was hard to explain why my eyes were all red when I went to the other end of the hall for the ladies golf luncheon. The red eyes there were caused there by the early opening of the bar. Not me, really.
Well, it's a beautiful day in Anchorage, and there's a lot to do out there, so here I go!

No comments: