Friday, November 16, 2007

Chicago is my kind of town

It's just a short plane ride from D.C. to Chicago - around 90 minutes, but oh, what a change. Of course, it takes a long time, like two hours, to take the Metra to the Loop area, where most tourists seek a hotel. I'm staying on Congress Street, the SE corner of the Loop, and it's a challenge to get picked up on the street there. My friend, RB, decided to do the pickups at a parking garage diagonally across from the first spot, because you take your life in your own hands trying to get in a car with heaps of traffic on all sides. We went to the Magic Cabaret, in the Victory Gardens Theatre. The special guest was Ross Johnson, a great mentalist. The two regulars were P.T. Murphy and David Parr. I guess they have a website but I haven't checked it out.
Another attraction of Chicago are the many music and theatre sites. RB treated me to a taping of Legends of Jazz on my second day here. That's the public radio station I listen to weekly, but now I found that Ramsey Lewis is starting his second season on TV. Hopefully, Anchorage will carry it, but they don't at this time. Thanks to the internet, I hope to keep in touch. This was an afternoon well-spent.
On to different things ... investigating Nordstroms and shopping, and some of the famous hotels like the Inter-Continental, Ritz-Carlton, and the Drake, and landing on the Drury Theatre in Water Tower area showing Altar Boyz. This gets a lot of press, but it was not exactly my cup of tea. I did enjoy it anyhow -- you see, I even like bad musicals. Well, today I'm onto more exploring, but for now, you're caught up on this gal's journey.

No comments: