Sunday, November 11, 2007

Washington D.C.

Yes, it's the nation's capital, and quite overwhelming to visit after several years. Security is tight, and you can't even enter a food court arcade without going thru security. I'm staying at a downtown hotel, and walk over to the Ronald Reagan Building for meetings each day. Yesterday, I was going to visit a friend at the National Endowment on the Arts, which is in a building across the street. . . from 1300 Pennsylvania Avenue to 1100 Pennsylvania Avenue. It took ages to get there and I first had to get thru the street level 'food court' and another security section to get to the 7th floor. By the way, the fancy entrance on the side with signs saying the food court is open, flashing lights and all, made me think that was the entrance. Wrong! They need a post a 'no entry' sign, as you had to enter on the back side of building, and a line of people waiting to get in, not unlike an airport. Andy had given me the number for entry on that, and I reached the offices in only 20 minutes. So much for my lunch break, but I did manage to grab a sandwich en route back to our meetings. After the meetings, we had time to regroup before a final awards dinner. This was at a nice, busy restaurant in Chinatown called Clydes, 707 7th NE. I decided to walk over from the hotel, and it was slightly uphill and about 7 blocks, but lavished myself with a taxi to return. It was an excellent meal of Atlantic salmon, almost equal to our Alaska salmon, and the program and company was also fine.
Well, this is just the peripheral information on my trip, so far. I'll get to the story of my meeting next time.

No comments: