Monday, March 2, 2009

Fur Rondy Reigns


This is a pretty cool Rondy this year. The weather cooperated, and the snow fell gently for the parade. I don't have pictures of that, but I need to get one of my good friend on her horse, soon. .. not too many bands because the instruments do freeze up. I was unable to actually attend, altho' I was very closeby at the Pioneer Hall, where the Pioneers of Alaska traditionally serve a full, hot breakfast for a minimal cost. Saturday, we served over 800! Sunday not so many.
The dogsled races run for 3 days, and in addition to this there is a snow sculpture competition near the railroad depot. The usual arts and crafts continue thruout, and dogsled rides are available on the parkstrip. I don't have any pictures of these, but hope you enjoy the picture of the running of the reindeer. Someone got the great idea from Pampalona, but we don't have any bulls here, just other wildlife. This is a fairly new event, and really a kick in the pants.



The Senior Center has a first-class party, where old-timers, and long-timers, tell tales of the real Alaska. They also host several contests, and today I played in the cribbage tournament. It went on forever, so I didn't wait for the finish, not that I was heading for a blue ribbon, or anything like that. But this is a fun week to be in Anchorage, and it will be topped off by the start of the Iditarod Races.


In addition to doing travel consulting, I'm now writing travel insurance, which is a really good idea in these uncertain times. When you book your next trip, with whomever, think of me wanting to write up the insurance part. Rest easy knowing you're covered!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Vera, Thanks for all the interesting blogs...I loved this one, particularly...and the
Iditorad!

I will certainly take you up on the Travelers ins....when I get to go somewhere....! right now, I think it's 8 days in Ft. Lauderdale/w/tiny cruise attached!