Sunday, June 24, 2007

The Rains Came



I guess it was time to have the gods water the plants . . . Anchorage has had a beautiful early summer so far, so we were ready for the rain to come, and also to put out some terrible forest fires on the Kenai Peninsula.

So, what do you do on a rainy Sunday afternoon. I've given up on movies, so decided to sort out some images. I'm posting this one of the Eskimo drum I made in a class at the University. Our teacher was Becky, and she knew her stuff -- all the supplies were there and she helped us thru all the steps. The elk drumhead is just beautiful, and I like the way the mallot turned out. The sound is a great full bass, and now I have to figure out where to play it. One of my piano students tells me she plays drums, so perhaps I'll invite her to use mine when we have our monthly birthday party at the Pioneer Home - you see, I play the piano for this every fourth Thursday, and here it is already the end of June. By the way, the mostly-hidden drum behind this big native drum is one I got in Mombasa. That's on the Indian Ocean, east side of Kenya. It surely sounds tinny compared to my new drum. Ta-dum, ta-dum, ta-dum.

No comments: